Saturday, September 5, 2015

College Football 2015 Week 1 Review.

The first week of the season is so difficult to predict.  I was wrong on a few of my predictions, but there are a few things that no one would have guessed coming into week 1.  Six months ago, Tanner Mangum was teaching the Gospel of Jesus Christ in Chile.  Today, he steps in off the bench in the 4th quarter and throws a game-winning 'Hail Mary' into the wind in Lincoln, Nebraska.  Nobody does THAT in Lincoln, Nebraska against the Huskers.  So much for what we think we know.

Statewide players of the week.

Co-Offensive Players of the Week: BYU QBs Taysom Hill and Tanner Mangum
Defensive Player of the Week: Utah DB Justin Thomas
Special Teams Player of the Week: USU PR Andrew Rodriguez

Utah 24 Michigan 17

I'm reporting on this one first, because this was the only game that I was close to getting right.  I thought it would be special teams that was the difference, but this time, it was the Ute defense.  Justin Thomas, who is not THE Justin Thomas (who is a golfer), but just a Justin Thomas became THAT Justin Thomas for just one play.  And that was the difference.  I think it's going to be a good year on the Hill.

Utah Player of the Game: DB Justin Thomas

Utah State 12 Southern Utah 9

If I am Matt Well, and if I could look at Utah State's schedule and pick just one game for my team to play Stormtrooper, this would be the game.  But really, Chuckie Keeton should have been watching the 2nd half from the sideline, with the Aggies having a comfortable lead.    It didn't work out that way, as the Aggies trailed most of the way and would have lost had in not been for Andrew Rodriquez' 4th quarter heroics.  Hopefully, the offense will be better going forward.

For SUU, does this mean the rest of the Big Sky Conference should watch out for the Thunderbirds.  No.  (The Big Sky Conference mostly did very well for week 1 against mostly FBS opponents).  But it does mean that people should take this team seriously.  The schedule is favorable for them, and if SUU wins the games that they should win from here on out, then they should be in the FCS playoffs.  Let's hope this portends a good season for SUU.

USU Player of the Game: PR Andrew Rodriquez
SUU Player of the Game: QB Ammon Olsen

Oregon State 26 Weber State 7

The Beavers didn't have a cake walk in week 1 against their FCS opponent either.  For Weber State fans, the offense appears to be about what we thought they were.  For the defense, they may be better.  Perhaps we can look forward to more than 3 wins for WSU this year.  The reason I say this, WSU kept the Beavers in check on offense most of the game and the sole touchdown was scored by the defense.

WSU Player of the Game: S Josh Burton

BYU 33 Nebraska 28

This was a good news, bad news day for BYU.  Of course they got the win.  But Taysom Hill was lost for the season for the third time in 4 years.  If I were Taysom, and let me emphasize that this is his decision, it would be time to hang up the cleats for good, even if he can get a medical redshirt.  Concentrate on getting that degree, largely without the level of debt that most college students are saddled with, and move on with your life.

As for Mangum and the Cougars, I didn't expect them to even hang with Nebraska.  My prediction was dead wrong.  Next time someone comments on this blog that I am a BYU homer, I have proof that I am not.  For the record, even thought I am born and reared in Utah and I live in Utah now but I have a BS from the University of Nebraska.

BYU Co-Players of the Game: QBs Taysom Hill and Tanner Mangum

No comments: